This page has all you need to get started on your Cadet Forces career.
Am I eligible?
Anyone between the ages of 13 and 15 years may join the Cadet Forces. Prospective cadets need the permission of their parents or guardians to apply, and while they’re under the age of 18, parental consent is also required for all training and exercises undertaken outside of regular parade nights. Someone younger than 13 can join if they are currently in Year 9 at a New Zealand Secondary School.
A person may stay with the Unit as a cadet until the age of 18, at which time they must commit to serving as an Officer or Supplementary Staff member, or leave the unit.
How to join:
Joining up is pretty easy. Just follow the following steps:
- Firstly, make sure you’re eligible to join.
- Get in touch with the Unit staff by emailing email@example.com, and let them know you’re interested.
- With your parent or guardian, pay us a visit on one of our regular parade nights. You’ll meet the Unit Commander, and the rest of the staff, who’ll help answer any questions you might have. If you want to hang around for the night, we’ll set you up with a buddy for the evening who’ll look after you, show you around and introduce you to the other Cadets.
- We usually invite new recruits to attend a couple of parades before committing anything, to give you time to make up your mind about whether 2 SQN is for you. When you’re ready, the Staff will give you an enrolment form to fill in and ask your parent / guardian to sign.
- Hand the completed enrolment form to the Unit Staff.
- You’re in!
If you haven’t already, get in touch with us. Our team is always happy to help you with any questions you might have about getting involved. You might also want to read our FAQ section.